WORKSHOP: September 23, 2017, Providence, RI: Join me and several others for the ENCORE workshops, an all-day “best of” collection of sessions from the New England SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) Spring Conference. I’ll be presenting my sessions on Improv and Play for Writers. The full event is 9:00-4:30 at Rhode Island College in Providence.
WORKSHOP: October 7, 2017, Montpelier, VT: Improv and Play For Writers: an expanded, all-day workshop version of my one-hour session on the same topic. Presented by NESCBWI. 9AM – 4PM, Unitarian Church, Montpelier, VT. Registration opens August 15.
WORKSHOP: October 21, 2017, Devens, MA: Join me and several others for the ENCORE workshops, an all-day “best of” collection of sessions from the New England SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) Spring Conference. I’ll be presenting my sessions on Improv and Play for Writers. The full event is 9:00-4:30 at Devens Commons Conference Center in Devens, MA.
WORKSHOP: October 25-29, 2017: I’ll be teaching at the Highlights Foundation — a four-day workshop for adult writers, “Getting Your Middle Grade Unstuck,” with the amazing Elise Broach. (If you haven’t read MASTERPIECE or her other books…do!)
CONFERENCE: April 20-22, 2018: See you at the New England SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) Spring Conference in Springfield, MA
WORKSHOP: July 2018: If you’re a writer, treat yourself to an amazing week at the Antioch Writers’ Workshop in my hometown of Yellow Springs, OH. The workshop is open to all kinds of writers; I’ll be teaching the young writers’ track for writers 15-18 years old.
– October 7, 2016: Middle School, The Worst Years of My Life hits the big screen. See you at the movies!
– Summer 2015: STRANDED is part of the New York Public Library’s Summer Reading Challenge. Check it out! Get reading
– July 27, 2014: MIDDLE SCHOOL hits week #13 on the New York Times children’s series bestseller list. Thanks to all you readers out there! (You know who you are :-))
– December 10, 2013: Thank you, Barnes and Noble for naming Middle School: How I Survived Bullies, Broccoli, and Snake Hill one of the best kids’ books of 2013!
– February, 2013: Stranded debuts at #9 on the New York Times’ children’s middle grade bestseller list.
– June 10, 2012: Middle School: Get Me Out of Here! jumps from #2 to #1 on the NYTimes bestseller list for Children’s Chapter Books!
– November 21, 2011: Listen to my interview on Vermont Public Radio’s “Vermont Edition.”
– July 10, 2011: Middle School, the Worst Years of My Life debuts at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list for Children’s Chapter Books!
– Also, check out the MIDDLE SCHOOL website
Stuff (Links, Good Reads…etc.)
Links for Writers and Readers
The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
The Authors Guild
Children’s Book Council
The Purple Crayon
Read, Kiddo, Read
Flying Pig Bookstore
Brown Dog Books
Good Reads – Some recent (and not so recent) favorite books for young readers:
Wonder, by R.J. Palacio
Holes, by Louis Sachar
Out of the Dust, by Karen Hesse
James and the Giant Peach, by Roald Dahl
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl
Masterpiece, by Elise Broach
Cosmic, by Cottrell Boyce
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, by Judy Blume
When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead
A Single Shard, by Linda Sue Park
Because of Winn Dixie, by Kate Dicamillo
The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick
Tuck Everlasting, by Natalie Babbitt
The Game of Sunken Places, by M.T. Anderson
The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, by Julie Edwards
The Big Joke Game, by Scott Corbett
Hoot, by Carl Hiaasen
The Giver, by Lois Lowry
The Willoughbys, by Lois Lowry
Homer Price, by Robert McCloskey
Ramona the Pest, by Beverly Cleary
Harriet the Spy, by Louise Fitzhugh
Books for teens and older readers:
Eleanor and Park, by Rainbow Rowell
Feed, by M.T. Anderson
Godless, by Pete Hautman
My Antonia, by Willa Cather
I Am The Messenger, by Markus Zusak
Rotten, by Michael Northrup
Looking for Alaska, by John Green
A Northern Light, by Jennifer Donnelly
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, by Mark Haddon
Luna, by Laurie Peters
How I Live Now, by Meg Rosoff
Dairy Queen, by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
Dunk, by David Lubar
Shattering Glass, by Gail Giles
Double Helix, by Nancy Werlin
The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier